I haven’t been to Spain for about 15 years, so it's come back around on my travel wish list having heard great things about Catalonia in particular. Catalonia is surrounded by mountains and the Mediterranean Sea - however it’s worth bearing in mind that you probably need to rent a car to get around also because the areas that I want to visit are all pretty far apart - so just for the convenience factor I think it would be the best choice.
- Barcelona - If you’re flying in/out of this City you might as well make the most of it! I definitely want to visit Park Güell (the beautiful mosaics) and see some of the Barcelona nightlife that I've heard such good things about.
- The Palau Guell - an avantgarde palace designed by the famous architect and the remarkable yet unfinished Basilica de Sagrada Familia, an amazing church resembling a drip sand castle.
- Girona - a medieval city located about 100 kilometres from the capital of Catalonia. Girona is full of Roman architecture, Cathedrals and even Arabic baths. The city has incredible ancient Roman ruins dotting the pristine beaches, including a remarkably intact amphitheatre.
- Sitges - another beautiful seaside village, with calm water and golden sandy beaches. The area is best known for it’s fine cuisine and Bohemian atmosphere.
- The Salvador Dali Museum in Figueres - really this would be top of my list, it’s just whether I can convince friends to join me! The artist’s greatest masterpieces are displayed here and the design of the museum itself is amazing.
Have you ever visited Catalonia, have I missed anything big off the list? I'd love to hear your tips!